In I Am a Church Member, Thom S. Rainer presents a short guide for church members that clearly explains the biblical approach to church membership. Rainer focuses on shifting church members mindsets from that of a consumer and taker to that of a giver and investor. In his thesis statement in the introduction, Rainer clearly addresses this mindset shift:
“God did not give us local churches to become country clubs where membership means we have privileges and perks. He placed us in churches to serve, to care for others, to pray for leaders, to learn, to teach, to give, and, in some cases, to die for the sake of the gospel.” (p. 6)
The book goes on to address biblical church membership by describing it through a church member pledge. This church membership pledge consists of the following ideas:
- I will be a functioning church member.
- I will be a unifying church member.
- I will not let my church be about my preferences and desires.
- I will pray for my church leaders.
- I will lead my family to be healthy church members.
- I will treasure church membership as a gift.
I Am a Church Member is a short, simple, and biblical resource addressing a topic that is frequently misunderstood in the church today. Rainer’s resource will be helpful to both Christians who are new to the church and those who have been a part of the church their entire lives.